Friday 2 April 2010

Friday Fungus: A Retrospective


Today’s Friday Fungus was going to be an evocation of the Eleusinian Mysteries and the role of mushrooms in these ancient rites. After all hallucination is perhaps the best explanation for much sighting of spirits, flying and rising from the dead! And mushrooms are the readiest source of hallucinogens around.

Instead I got sidetracked by pomegranates and wrote about Iacchus returning to Elusis! So – to cut a long story short – you’re getting a retrospective (this is what happens when artists run out of ideas, of course) of the recipes featured over the past nine months in Friday Fungus.

Garlic mushrooms – a dish I don’t usually like but this was my simple take on it. Do try with other spices or herbs instead to the domineering garlic.

Kathryn’s mum’s mushroom soup – almost a staple for us now, a great and simple recipe

Bacon and mushroom pasta sauce – complete with tips on making your own pasta and some real Italian words which makes it posh and authentic, of course!

A warm porcini salad – including (not for the faint-hearted) a picture of me cooking. This is easy and fresh porcini are the best, they really are!

Possibly the best breakfast dish in the world, ever – and I meant that – this bacon, mushroom and cream cheese sort of toastie is fantastic

Mushroom ketchup – the original ketchup recipe and a truly wonderful relish with cheese or just as a dip

I’ve not looked back at all my mushroom recipes – saving some for the next time I dry up, ideas-wise!


....

No comments: