Monday 1 March 2010

Two questions for public sector managers...

***

Staff survey at work – options of no pay rise, no increments, reducing hours and redundancies (unspecified). I have responded appropriately but it got me thinking about the doom and gloom coverage around public sector workers.

So two questions for public sector managers:

1. If you believe what you do to be important, would you be willing to do what thousands have done in the private sector – accept a 10% pay cut?

2. If there’s a choice between sacking some people or you all not taking pay rises or annual salary increments but you’re not threatened, would you still take the cash knowing someone else will lose their job?

Just asking....

...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not a public sector manager, but I do work for a university...

1) If it's a choice between taking a pay cut and keeping my job, or not, and losing it immediately, I'll take the pay cut. I always take it as a signal that I should look around to see if there's something more rewarding I can be doing instead, though; cut my pay at your peril!

2) I made exactly this point to a colleague who was campaigning with the union for payrises a few years back. Personally, I'd take a pay cut, but only if everyone took the cut. There's no point in me, by myself, voluntarily handing back 10% - that won't save anyone's job - so I might as well save it in case the fickle finger of fate points at me. Tragedy of the Commons-ish.

-ajb

DavidWhe said...

Simon - no pay rise for me this year at all - agreed 0% increase but with inflation at >0%, then this is effectively a reduction and that is in the public sector! Regarding 'sacking people' - if you mean redundancy to reduce expenditure - that's acceptable and understandable and I would consider a further reduction - if you mean 'sacking people' because they're no good - I wouldn't want to protect them!!

Anonymous said...

you are all wrong Jack. but your sort never listen to anyone. think about it (always a first time)