Saturday 27 March 2010

Tokenistic posturing...

***

We are all told we should ‘sign up’ for Earth Hour, stop smoking on ‘No Smoking Day’, celebrate ‘International Women’s Day’ amid many other little campaigning days, hours, minutes and probably seconds across the year. This annoys me.

I know, I know. I should be joining with all the other folk this evening and turn off my lights as part of a call to “…stand up, to take responsibility, to get involved and lead the way towards a sustainable future.” But I’m not going to do that as:

1. It’s tokenistic posturing
2. I don’t like WWF

Plus of course Earth Hour will be bad for the planet:

Even if power stations are turned off, the upsurge in turning the lights back on one hour later will require power stations that can fire up quickly like oil and coal. Energy experts said it could therefore result in an increase in carbon emissions "rendering all good intentions useless at a flick of a switch.”


Ooops!

3 comments:

manwiddicombe said...

You did celebrate National Cleavage Day yesterday didn't you?

Obnoxio The Clown said...

He's not a tit.

Jon Beexh said...

so, what about Rememberance Day?