Monday 9 November 2009

Precocious Punk Girl Kerry McCarthy

Not being a punk of any sort but having wandered in to the occasional punk concert before I was too old to know better (mostly though I was sat in muddy fields near Luton watching perhaps the greatest rock band of them all) I was struck by Kerry McCarthy MP’s view of the movement - as succinctly reported by that dear old clown. And her claim that only lefties are allowed to like punk rock - presumably Iggy Pop isn't included there.

However, what struck me most was Ms McCarthy’s precociousness (b1965 Luton, Beds) – after all she was only 13 when Stiff Little Fingers were talking of “Alternative Ulster” (and was just 14 when I was sat in that muddy field near her place of birth and The Clash released “London Calling”). As for the daddies of punk – The Damned – they formed in 1976 (when Kerry was just 11) performing first in my back yard of Croydon.

I have a vision of little Kerry, the teenaged punk. Knew a few of those but sadly not Kerry!

1 comment:

Obnoxio The Clown said...

I shan't sully your blog with my thoughts on this matter.

They are, however, profane -- even by my usual standards!