Thursday 19 November 2009

Copyright, patents and bloody lawyers

***

I'm a fan of copyright and the protection of intellectual property - given that I'm sitting in a house paid for from earnings in publishing, advertising and marketing it's hard not to take such a view. The creators of something do have the right to seek protection from those who would exploit that creation without permission. And as we all know the rights we have - and the protection of those rights don't come for free.

But there is a real problem with our copyright and IP laws - a problem that isn't solved by Peter Mandelson sucking up to billionaire yacht-owners. They are being turned into tools of suppression rather than protection. Just take the case of the Underground Restaurant - a charming institution that I've never eaten at (for no reason than it being in London a place I try to avoid most of the time).

Today Ms Marmite Lover the proprietor (if that's the right world for the organiser of a transitory, peripatetic eatery) told us that lawyers representing the London Underground were unhappy with her use of the word "underground" and (I assume) a mash-up of the iconic London Underground logo.

This follows on from lawyers representing Warner Brothers threatening dire retribution if a Harry Potter theme was used for one restaurant event. I mean exactly how does that damage the brand?

So would you like to join me in writing to the Chairman of Transport for London - the lovely Boris Johnson asking him to call off his lawyers and tell his officers to focus on rather more important matters (which you may all choose according to you preference)

Boris Johnson
Mayor of London
Greater London Authority
City Hall
The Queen's Walk
London SE1 2AA
mayor@london.gov.uk

...

1 comment:

theundergroundrestaurant said...

Thank you Simon...it is getting ridiculous isn't it?
Plus I've now got my freeholder also claiming breach of lease and forfeiture...I'm feeling beleaguered